Monday, July 31, 2006

A Story

A few of you are already aware of this, but I know the majority are still in the dark. I have a story to share with you and it starts back in December...

I'd first like to say that some elements of this story are sort-a gross. Some of you may like to know them and others not, but I'm including them either way.

Anyways....

Back in December I noticed that my bowel movements were not as they should be (yes, "bowel," as in involving the large intestine and poo). Instead of nice, healthy stools, I was seeing very few stools and quite a bit of blood. So, Mom and I went to the doctors. The doctor examined me a bit and said it was probably constipation. She prescribed me some laxative and I went home embarrased about having to go to the doctors for something as trivial as constipation.

Well, I was taking the laxative and at first it seemed to be working some, but not a whole lot. There was still blood. Eventually I just stopped taking it because it wasn't really doing anything. I proceeded to live the next few months with my irregular bowel movements and bloody stools; afterall, it didn't hurt and didn't seem to be affecting me much in any way.

Now it was about midsummer and I reminded my mother that something still wasn't right with my gut and that we should probably get the problem corrected before I headed off to Iowa State University.

Again we went to the doctors. They ended up referring me to the gastroenterology division where I was examined by a Dr. Loftus, who sent me to have blood drawn, an abdominal X-ray, and collect stool samples (gross, yes, I know). After that was all said and done, Dr. Loftus revealed to me that I had an intestinal colitis and that I was a bit anemic. A colitis is basically an imbalance in the intestine of good and bad bacteria. Nothing too serious. He prescribed me some pills and said to take them four times a day for two weeks. So I did just that. Again, at first they seemed to be doing something, but in the end there was still blood and the stools weren't normal.

I returned to Dr. Loftus for a follow-up appointment. I tell him that something must still be wrong: the medicine didn't work. He said the next step was a colonoscopy and a CT-scan of my lower half. A colonoscopy involves specialized doctors sticking a tube up your bum and examining the inside via a little camera attached to the end of the tube. They also take tissue samples with a minute clamp when need be.

I was awake, yet sedated, for the colonoscopy, so I got to watch what they were doing on the screen. It was weird, but kind-a cool. I remember hearing the doctor during the colonoscopy saying something about an "anomoly." That made me a bit apprehensive when we went to visit Dr. Loftus again.

The news was not good. They had found a tumor. It rings around my large intestine about twelve centimeters up from my rectum. What was more, there are dark spots on my liver. The cancer has probably spread. I still have the colitis and am anemic as well. By the way, the day I learned this was this past Friday, July 28. That was all the details that Dr. Loftus gave me. He referred me to the division of oncology, where they deal with cancer patients to learn more.

So this morning (Monday, July 31) I finally got some concrete details about what's going.
1. Cancer Type: Andocarcinoma
2. Stage: 4
3. Current known locations of cancer: large intestine, liver, and hip
4. Treatment: chemotherapy; possible surgery to remove tumor in intestine

That is what I know so far. Today I had another CT-scan of my upper half to check that it hasn't spread to my lungs and tomorrow I have a bone scan.

I guess we'll see how things go. The doctors have promised me that having a "normal" life is no longer in my future and that my plans for school will probably be altered some.

So that's my story. I hope I didn't gross you out too much, but now you know everything that I know.

I'll be sure to post updates, add useful information, and keep in touch with all of you to answer any questions/comments.

~Cheryl

20 comments:

Centurion said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gimp said...

Wow.
Sorry to hear it, Cheryl.

fishie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
fishie said...

Cheryl, i don't care how gross you think we might take it, i just want you to get better!!!!!!

We all LOVE you and hope this doesn't alter. your plans for your future.

luv,
kass

and that was me before i spelled somethings wrong before so i had to delete it.


And Cheryl like Little said if you need anything i am at your whim.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl!!

Whoa this is a total sHoCkEr!! Let me know if you need ANYTHING! Just know that if you have to talk to someone I'll be here for ya! We'll get through this cancer one way or another!

Anonymous said...

Hey cheryl...
ann told me sunday night. she didnt want me to be completely shocked when talking to you..but now that u have a blog we can talk! ;-). silver lining to every cloud? not quite. :-(. im really really sorry. that sucks so bad! and you were all set for iowa! i dont know if ur taking a semester or year off or maybe taking a few classes at rctc but i guess im going to RCTC now so we'll be able to hang out some now that i guess were both in town for a while. this blows. but ur a strong girl and u;ll get through it. im scared adn im sure you are too but i also know you are a very brave girl. LOVE YOU CHERYL!

Katie Bers

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
Love you and am praying for you. You know I'm here, anytime, for anything you need.
Love,
Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl-

We're sorry to hear about your recent diagnoises and wanted to let you know that you'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Kevin, Karen, Nikki,& Kyle Fieseler
www.caringbridge.org/mn/nikki

Anonymous said...

Hey, just wanted to tell you that I am praying for you and your family.

Jeffe

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl,
Lots of LOVE and HUGS. We are praying for you. We are always here if you need anything..
Lots-a-Love
Grandma and Grandpa H

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
Sorry to hear about this. Pastor Mark passed the word to Mary and she sent me to your blog. We are all Praying for you and look forward to you joining us at Star Lake next year. I sent your site address to my other family members as we have all been through the cancer battles before and want let you know that we "love you and care about you" Vince

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, I love you and all of my positive energy is sent your way. We're here for you any time, any place.

Nancy

Cheryl's Dad said...

Cheryl,

Words can't begin to express my love for you.

The next months will be tough, with tests, Doctor visits and your disappointment in not attending college the way you had planned. If I could change things, believe me, I would in a heartbeat.

In my life, there has always been one song that has brought me peace or made me feel better in times of stress that I wanted to share with you. I am sure you have heard me singing along to it. and just listening to it made me feel better as I write this. If your ever feeling down, need someone to talk to, or just want a big hug, I, or mom, will always be there for you.


Bridge Over Trouble Water

When you’re weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
I’m on your side. When times get rough
And friends just can’t be found,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
When you’re down and out,
When you’re on the street,
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you.
I’ll take your part.
When darkness comes
And pain is all around,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.

Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way.
See how they shine
If you need a friend
I’m sailing right behind.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind.
© 1969 Paul Simon


On the bright side, we will see more of you and you will still be able to do stuff with Ben and some of your friends. Once we get through the next couple months, mom & I will work to get you back into ISU full-time. We can see what ISU events you want to attend this fall and make sure you get to them.

With ALL my LOVE.

Your Dad, who loves you so very much.

Anonymous said...

My hearts cries for you and your family. Know you and your family are in our prayers. I have also ask friends to add you to there prayers.

We're rooting for you.

Vicki

Helen said...

Wow, Cheryl, this really sucks, I'm so sorry, right behind you the whole way though, if you need anything, just let me know! I left a post on you're latest post, no need for me to repeat it. :) You can do this Cheryl, love you!
"If you're goin through hell, keep on going, don't slow down, if you're scared don't show it, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there..."
~Helen

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl,
I am shocked to read this, but I want to let you know that you are in my thoughts and that I will do everything to help you. I got to know you as a strong person and so I truly believe, that you will get better soon.
When I didn't feel well during my stay, my dad send me a poem that cheered me up, as well it cheered him up. ( the translation is not the best, but it will work)

"One night I had a dream. I was walking along the beach with my Lord. Across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand, one belonging to me and the other to my Lord.
When the last scene of my life shot before me I looked back at the footprints in the sand. There was only one set of footprints. I realized that this was at the lowest and saddest times in my life.
This always bothered me and I questioned the Lord about my dilemma. "Lord, you told me when I decided to follow You, You would walk and talk with me all the way. But I'm aware that during the most troublesome times of my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why, when I needed You most, you leave me."
He whispered, "My precious, precious child, I love you and will never leave you never, ever during your times of trial and testings. When you saw only one set of footprints It was then that I carried you."
Margaret Fishback Powers

And in this way, you will not be alone as well.
Gute Besserung und alles erdenklich Gute wünscht dir dein
thilo

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,

We are all here to support you and to help whenever and wherever we can. You are in our prayers.

Scott, Julie, Nicole, & Brittany

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you and your family and that you are in our prayers.
Mrs. Rice

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, I know the shock, dis-belief, scared, worried, what about the future feeling you are going thru right now. Its ok to be scared, cause that means you can ask GOD for help and he will lift you up. Just tell yourself that you need to take a TIME OUT and use all your energy to take care of Yourself. Been there, done that with the pink ribbon cancer. You are NOT alone. We will be there for you. LOve,
Tom, Terry, Helen and Holly Lauth

Unknown said...

Dear Cheryl:

Friends at Bethel have let us know about your cancer. Your phone is busy, so I am using this blog to let you know that we are praying for you. Let us know if we can do anything for you at Bethel.

Pastor Wahl