Saturday, December 16, 2006

"Close your eyes, listen to the skies..."

Hmm, I don't know what happened, but for some reason the last post didn't allow comments; therefore, I'm putting up a new post in case people feel like commenting.

I don't really have anything new to report. The performance of Peter Pan last night went well and we had a great audience. There were quite of few younger kids, which is always fun, and they laughed and screamed in all the right parts. We actually had a few kids who were nervous when the pirate ship came out. Mwahaha.

So, just to give this post a little more length, I'm composing a list of holiday happiness. These are just random things that make me smile during the festive season. Oh, and it's not in any particular order.

My Top 20 Holiday Happiness List

1. Festive, knee-high toe socks
2. My stocking that has little jingle bells on it
3. The hidden pickle ornament on our tree
4. A Christmas tree which lacks the Christmas walleye in plain sight and the three mushroom ornaments that are strung across the bottom
5. The snow globe with the train that moves and plays "Winter Wonderland"
6. Christmas lights that aren't burned out or arranged oddly around our garage
7. Watching the Muppet's Christmas Carol with Beth & Bri
8. Planning holiday gatherings with friends
9. An entire dining room table, plus a card table, full of Christmas goodies
10. Eating Christmas fondue until you're about twice your normal size
11. Flavored hot chocolates- especially hazlenut or French vanilla
12. Playing "Peanuts" with the family and getting overly competitive about it
13. Singing Christmas carols or playing them on piano/sax
14. Having just enough snow to cover the ground in order to go sledding
15. The classic Rankin-Bass holiday shows, like "Year Without a Santa Claus"
16. Making candycane cookies with Mom
17. Being isolated with the rest of the "kids" for Christmas dinner, even though the youngest kid is seventeen =P
18. Still believing in Santa Claus
19. Candle-lit midnight mass
20. Visiting with friends and family and not having to worry about school/work the next day

There we go. I think that's a pretty good sized list. Hopefully the comments will work again. Feel free to post your own holiday-happiness list. It'd be fun to hear some of the unique things that make people enjoy the season.

Much love,
Cheryl

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the magical visit of the post-Christmas wrapping paper Badger. That's my favorite part.

Anonymous said...

I wanna try some of those candy cane cookies! i see your 'kids' at family xmas still get isolated too! my oldest cousin still is- shes 34! lol. and i definetely like the last one- can't wait for EVERYONE to be home!

Katie herbers

Anonymous said...

i like the christmas-y smell..
like cookies, and pine trees...and snow(yes snow has a smell)

oh and you cant forget the smell of children RIPPING open presents...
the children may stink, but the presents dont!

hehehe

Anonymous said...

I like the smell of pine trees too, roaring fires in the fireplace, and hanging out in PJs all day (even with pillow hair).

Cheryl, you're creative, you should write a poem or a song with all of these!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl,

I went to Peter Pan yesterday with James, Taylor, Sara, Adam, Katie and my mom. We all really enjoyed it. Our favorite part was the pirates and especially during the intermission! I sat next to James and he laughed out loud several times. Adams' eyes got really big when the pirate ship came out!

I like watching the little kids in the Christmas programs, and all the wonderful christmas goodies. One of my new favorite things this year is my Enya, Sounds of the Season CD.

Happy Holidays!
Glenda

Anonymous said...

I like looking at the Christmas tree with my contact lenses out....all the big blurs of lights! By the way, I remember my first "B" in college. It was during my first semester, in "Voice" of all things. It was such a blessing. I never ever after had to worry about a "perfect" GPA. (How come the post-Christmas wrapping paper Badger never visits our house?)

Anonymous said...

What is the post-christmas wrapping paper badger? I think one of my favorite moments of the season is singing Silent Night by candlelight at the christmas eve service at church. Ihave always loved being in a packed house and doing it acapella! I would love to see your new sax, bring it over the next time you come and you and Ben can play some duets! Who knows, maybe I will give it a whirl too. What are you going to do with your old one? Ben's Mama

Anonymous said...

Baking 23.5 doz. cut-out cookies & decorating them!!! Have a wonderful Christmas!!!!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl-I have been terribly lazy in reading your posts and responding, so I finally read the last 3 posts and don't know what to say. I really don't...... I do believe this though, God has a plan for all of us. Whatever that might be... Loved your Christmas list, one of my favorite things is warm danish on Christmas morning! It is a very cozy feeling :-) yummy
We are praying for you everyday - Hang in there, God Bless

Anonymous said...

Oh Cheryl...I love your list!! I also enjoy how we're still isolated to the kid's table...remember how we used to always mix all that stuff in Greg's water and make him drink it...oh and the 'manners game'? I def can't wait to play peanuts and watch the Muppets Christmas Carol (well until I fall asleep...big meal = food coma). I also love putting out cookies for Santa...you can never be too old to believe!!

much love, Beth

Anonymous said...

Last year our "kids" (Ages 30-20)isolated themselves in the kitchen with the prime rib. When the "adults" went for seconds, there was still plenty of ham!

This year we're just having ham, and two of ours aren't coming!

P.S. Next year we'll have a new baby under the tree. I'm thinking that will be the best. Now, if his/her parents would just get married!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl,
I miss you alot and i want to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Come by to play practice this Thurs., i understand if you can't.
I want to see you,
Kassie

Anonymous said...

Well, a lot of things make me excited for christmas, which is good, since there is no SNOW in Madison to make me think of "walking in a winter wonderland," per say. Sidenote: I walked to one of my finals this week, and I was wearing flip flops and SHORTS. That's not okay. In our hall, we tried a snow dance but it failed miserably, so instead we made cheesy paper snowflakes and hung them on other random peoples' doors. Some of them were... weak.... to put it tactfully.

Ooh, one more thing... there's this girl that lives across the hall from my best friend who is absolutely RIDICULOUS: we're not supposed to have plants in our rooms, but she snuck in a full-sized Christmas tree. I'm totally serious, you can smell it in the hallway. Then, one time our housefellow came by her room and she opened the door all the way, forgetting about the tree, and he didn't even say one word about it - I think he was mainly in awe of how she had gotten it in the building, so he just let it be!

Anyways, I'm coming home tomorrow morning (geez, its about time), so we should do something over winter break, okay? Love!

~ Katie Hurtis

Anonymous said...

Hey, Cheryl! We(Robert, Sonny, Laura, Jase, and me) will be at PP Saturday afternoon (row C, seat 15 etc) so give us a special yo-ho-ho....ho-ho-ho!

I'm so excited!

from April H