Hi.
It has taken me a while to get this post up because I have been considering whether I wanted to reply to a comment on my last post.
I guess I would like to say a few things. The first is that I never said that God doesn't care. I said that I believed He did not care that we sinned, or was concerned that we sinned. I probably worded it poorly, but that is what I meant to say. So to repeat that: God cares, just not about little things, like sinning.
Another thing I wanted to say was that it bothered me that the comment was anonymous. It is like saying, "I will publicly announce my faith, but I will not sign my name to it because I don't have to since the majority shares my opinion." I sign my name to my public statements of faith, so I don't know why others won't do the same if they feel they need to contradict me.
The last analogy the commenter used really saddened me also. It related to the whole reason I had been mad at God before: I was mad because this whole mess seemed to be God's fault. I am diseased because of His "Master Plan." The analogy that a mother immunizes her baby and knows the temporary pain is for the better is like saying that because of God's "Master Plan," I have to be sick: It is "for the better" that I have cancer.
Well, if that is the case, then it is "for the better" that my recent chemotherapy has not been working, and possibly has not slowed the progression of my cancer at all. It will be "for the better" that I will be dead by December. I will die on some cold, winter day, because the pain of my disease, inflicted by God, will have taken over my body and taken me away from everybody I love. I will never dance or run again, but at least I'm part of God's stupid, stupid "Plan." I will never see spring again, or get married and have kids, or see my boyfriend graduate from high school or my brother from college. I will never have experienced college life. I won't see the next generation of my family, or even be a part of it. If this is like an immunization from God, then I'd rather face the disease of Life and not be a part of His "Master Plan."
I am sorry to attack the anonymous commenter, but this is how I feel. I edit and read through a post at least four or five times before I publish it on this blog because I want to be careful that I don't tread on people's feelings in any way. But it saddens me that people do not seem to do me the same courtesy when they comment on my posts.
On my other blog, I posted that I had come to peace with God and that I believe it is in no way His fault that I have cancer. The anonymous comment on this blog contradicted my belief and put the blame back on God, which made me angry, sad, and confused all over again.
I am so scared and I know people want to reassure me, but please consider that I may not share your exact beliefs and in your attempt at reassuring me, you are causing hurt.
The best blessing I have ever heard has come from the wonderful Pastor Mark. I attended a camp with him last year, and during that week every camper was shared this blessing: God loves and cares about you. It is such a simple phrase, but it sums it all up and leaves lots of room for an individual to grow and form their own specific beliefs. Thanks, Mark.
I guess I will end my rant there and fill you in with what's been going on.
I have had numerous scans within the last few weeks and they have shown that the cancer is steadily progressing. The frail condition my right femur was in earlier this year is now the condition my left femur is in. I was radiated last week, not only on my tailbone, but on my left femur as well. It was in no way fun because I did not have the great team of radiologists I usually have and I always had to lay in an uncomfortable position for at least twenty minutes while I was treated. Now I have to worry about my femur fracturing again, so I have ordered a light-weight walking stick to help me get around and take stress off my leg. The only benefit I have gotten out radiation is the relief of the pain in my hip, which was whole point of having radiation. So, mission accomplished, I guess.
I was not actually shown my last CT-scan, but I was told by Dr. Pitot that the chemo was not doing much of anything and that he is greatly concerned about the condition of my liver. We cancelled my chemo appointment for last Friday because there is no point in hurrying to get in for treatment. Pitot told me this is the point where I decide whether it is worth trying the last resort of treatment or give-up. It was a very long appointment, to say the least, with lots of tears from everyone- even Pitot's eyes were getting pretty red.
So this is what I have been facing: Start a weekly treatment of low dosages of the extremely nauseating CPT-11 and another drug that will give me a rash that makes me look like a leper or stop treatment all together and let nature take its course. Pitot has said this chemo treatment would probably have very little affect, if any. I have to decide whether the side effects are worth it or not.
And I have talked it over with my family and friends, and I have decided it is not in me to give up and I will fight until there is nothing left of me because I feel every extra minute I can have with the people I love is worth it, even if my face is covered in acne so bad that no one would ever touch me again. I don't care. I want to be with my family and friends as long as I can.
Classes have continued at RCTC. Band is wonderful and we have great songs. It is easily one of the best parts of my day; I can get lost in the music and not worry about the mess which is my life. Photography is interesting too, though I have recently been having problems with my camera and have therefore wasted two rolls of films. It's frustrating, but I'm getting a different camera tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my assignment done then.
My room is almost done being redecorated. The walls are a great shade of blue, my windows are covered with whimsical curtains, and my bed frame is modern and covered with a pretty, new comforter. All we have to do is hang my shelves and move my plants back into my room, along with my little trinkets. Oh, I have a new bookcase as well, which almost holds all my favorite books.
I guess that is all I would like to say for now. Again, I'm sorry to the anonymous commenter; this post was targeted at you and I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings. I understand you were just trying to make me feel better.
~Cheryl
P.S. I don't know how many of you have seen the movie "Spirit," the one with the horse, but I highly recommend you see it because it has brilliant music. I used a line from it as my post title again, but I would like to share the whole song with you because I feel it accurately expresses the emotions felt, not only in my situation, but by everyone who faces difficult challenges in life- which I guess is everybody, but especially those with fatal diseases and similar struggles. Enjoy.
"Sound the Bugle"- Bryan Adams
Sound the bugle now, play it just for me
As the seasons change, remember how I used to be
Now I can't go on, I can't even start
I've got nothing left, just an empty heart.
I'm a soldier, wounded so I must give up the fight
There's nothing more for me, lead me away...
Or leave me lying here.
Sound the bugle now, tell them I don't care
There's not a road I know, that leads to anywhere
Without a light, I fear that I will, stumble in the dark
Lay right down, decide not to go on.
Then from on high, somewhere in the distance
There's a voice that calls, remember who you are
If you lose yourself, your courage soon will follow.
So be strong tonight, remember who you are.
Yeah, you're a soldier now, fighting in a battle
To be free once more, Yeah, that's worth fighting for!
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


22 comments:
Cheryl, you have once again shown what a strong and brave individual you are. Continue to be true to yourself and do what is right for you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. The Fisch Family(from CC)
Your situation sucks beyond words but I am so glad youre choosing to fight for every minute. I could care less that you ‘look like a leaper’- it wont stop me from giving you a hug! I love you and ill see you as soon as I can get home!
-kate
Cheryl you are such a great person, i said this before-you are a brave brave brave girl.
Cheryl,
You have such a way with words, and are strong beyond belief. I read your posts, and I realize how small and insignificant so many other things I stress about in my life.
You have such a powerful an dmeaingful way of capturing exactly how you feel. And you should never be sorry for how you feel because you are always being true to yourself. You have earned every right in this life to speak your mind.
Always thinking of you.
Cheryl,
I write this through my tears. I am so sorry you are at this point. I am continually amazed by your strength & grace. Remember what your friend, Pastor Mark, said "God loves and cares about you." He truly does love you more than any of us on earth does. I know that is hard to believe, but it is true. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to think about saying good-bye to this life (which you have no choice, but to do). As sad as it is thinking about all of the things you will miss if you do not have miraculous healing (I do still believe that is possible, if God chooses), please remember that Heaven is real & is better than anything on earth could ever be. I am glad to hear you have chosen to fight until there is nothing left to fight with. But as you grieve the loss of some earthly dreams, I pray that you can look forward to some Heavenly adventures. I still pray for miraculous healing, but also that you can begin dreaming of some Heavenly adventures. When it is my turn to go to Heaven, one of the first questions I plan to ask God is why you had to experience this - I definitely want his answer to that one. Randy C. Alcorn has written a wonderful book entitled "Heaven". If you are interested, you can find it at your local Christian bookstore or at barnesandnoble.com. I know we've never met in person, but I care for you deeply & pray for you daily (as do my children).
As always, with much love,
Sandy Bryant (scbyrant@hcinet.net)
Cheryl--
I wish I wasn't three hours away. But I'm so glad you're going to keep fighting. The doctors have been wrong before, so maybe they're wrong now, about the effect the treatment will have. I bet they are. Doctors are stupid like that.
Cheryl,
Hi this is Janice again. Your cousin Bart's wife.... I agree with everyone, you have the right to express the way you feel. It's wonderful that you have a net-work of friends and family close by. Please tell your mom, dad, granparents and family we send our love too... :-) We are keeping you all in our prayers. Your room sounds very pretty! Our daughter Cheryl loves to read too, her book case is full! She's liked reading ever since she was little -I'd have to read her, 5 - 10 books at a time.
Hugs and prayers,
Janice Schlaeppi
Cheryl-
It's been a while since I've commented on any of your posts, because I, honestly, have not had a clue as to what to say. I want you to know that I love you and pray for you daily. I also want you to know that I admire the maturity and grace with which you have handled yourself throughout everything. Do not feel bad or apologize for how you are feeling about anything...there is no right or wrong when it comes to your feelings and no one can or should tell you that what you feel is wrong, because they are not experiencing what you are. That is all I have to say...stay strong and stay true to yourself...don't let others make you back down.
Beth Thicke
Cheryl, You are so amazing!
I have seen the movie Spirit and loved it. I also loved the music and bought the soundtrack. I think I have worn it out. I think about you and pray for you everyday.
Love,
Glenda
You go girl! Fight away! You are in our thoughts and prayers, every day.
Your strength and maturity amaze me. You are one of a kind.
You are such an amazing person. Here you are, literally fighting for your life, and you're worried about saying things that will offend people.
Just continue being you Cheryl Tri. You are a very loved person and you deserve all the goodness and happiness in this world.
Always thinking of you.
Thank you Cheryl, for allowing us all to be a part of your journey. Although I could never imagine what it feels like to be going through this, a part of me feels like I've been by your side the entire time.
You've allowed us all to see a glimpse of your life, and through that, I have learned so much because of you.
Cheryl, your response to the anonymous post was terrific. Obviously this person must not read your posts or would know commenting wasn't allowed on your other blog. I know a little girl who was raped and brutally murdered by her father recently. I doubt God would have stood by and let that happen. There was no comforting her on that night. I also doubt that the anonymous person knows what God does or doesn't do in our lives...none of us do. Thank you for sharing your life with us. You have made me more mindful of what part I play in my life.
Cheryl, I love ya! You are a role model. I don't know if you think so but i think you are.
Kassie
Cheryl,
The last comment, someone said you are a role model, and I agree. Although you didn't ask for this to happen to you, and I'm sure would do anything in your power to make this nightmare go away, you've handled it with so much grace and dignity. You seem like such an old, wise soul. And anyone would be lucky to call you daughter, sister, or friend.
Praying and thinking of you and your family.
You know the saying that when your nose itches, someone is thinking about you? Well, your nose must itch constantly cause I know I think about you 100 times a day, and I'm sure everyone else does too!
Always thinking and praying for you. You are a BEAUTIFUL woman Cheryl. So, So, So BEAUTIFUL.
Nexus (Lyrics by Dan Fogelberg)
Across the vein of night there cuts a path of searing light
Burning like a beacon on the edges of our sight
At the point of total darkness and the lights divine divide
A soul can let its shadow stretch and land on either side, either side
And balanced on the precipice the moment must reveal
Naked in the face of time, our race within the wheel
As we hang beneath the heavens, and we hover over hell
Our hearts become the instruments we learn to play so well
So wealthy the spirit that knows its own flight
Stealthy the hunter who slays his own fright
Blessed the traveler who journeys the length of the light
Outside the pull of gravity, beyond the spectral veil
Within our careful reasoning, we search to no avail
For the constant in the chaos, for the fulcrum in the void
Following a destiny our steps cannot avoid
Across the vein of night there cuts a path of searing light
Burning like a beacon on the edges of our sight
At the point of total darkness and the lights divine divide
A soul can let its shadow stretch and land on either side
Wealthy the spirit that knows its own flight
Stealthy the hunter who slays his own fright
Blessed the traveler who journeys the length of the light
In a spiral never-ending are we drawn toward the source
Spinning at the mercy of an unrelenting force
So we stare into the emptiness and fall beneath the weight
Circling the Nexus in a fevered dance with fate
Wealthy the spirit that knows its own flight
Stealthy the hunter who slays his own fright
Blessed the traveler who journeys the length of the light
Hi Cheryl, reading your note I can see the beauty in which you live your life. You are so unbelieveably strong, even though you may not feel like it. You really are a role model and I wish that I had half as much strength in fighting my illness as you do with yours. I think of you often and hope that all in all, you're happy.
-Jessica Newport
Cheryl,
My sister lives in Duluth and has a friend, Emily Montgomery, who had colon cancer in 2000. She is in her 40's. Her younger sister died from colon cancer at an early age. She came here to Mayo Clinic and had surgery, but chose not to have radiation or chemotherapy. She has maintained her health and prevented the return of cancer by juicing, eating a healthy diet, lifestyle and supplementation. The interesting thing is, her oncologist at Mayo, Dr. Julian Molina, got colon cancer in 2003 and called her to see what she did. Dr. Molina has followed Emily until about 2005 and she continues to do great. I had an appointment with Dr. Molina last week and he is awesome! Since my breast cancer diagnosis on Sept. 6, I have made major lifestyle changes with diet, exercise, fresh air, giving up all processed foods, coffee, alcohol, sugar and have started praying and meditating. I also have noticed strange skin bumps just melting off my face and arm, even after 5 days of the major changes. I feel great and have more energy. I shared with Dr. Molina what I am doing, and he was very supportive. He also told me I could email him or call and talk to him at anytime. He had an early stage of colon cancer and didn't have radiation or chemo. He is doing very well and I know he was going to run the Twin Cities Marathon this past Sunday. Cheryl, I think it would be very much worth your time to discuss diet, juicing, etc. with Dr. Molina to get a different perspective. He is not going to tell you that it is a cure, but he will maybe help you with decisions concerning your treatment. Many people who are told there is nothing more that can be done go away from the doctor and decide they want to live and take matters into their own hands. I am glad that you want to keep fighting, it's the fighters that win. Don't give up! I hope you have read the Bernie Siegel book that I sent you about fighting and how the cancer patients who fight can make miracles happen.
Sincerely,
Micki Anderson
PS-Here is the info Emily gave my sister: Lynn Putnam out of Bloomington her business is Roots and Branches (sounded eastern medicine) but did her whole treatment plan.
Helen Healey in St. Paul, did her Supplements
Emily said on November 3rd (sat.) she is doing a juicing workshop at the Co-Op in Duluth, and said that I should sign up for it.
Also she said I can email her at alive2day@frontiernet.net
Post a Comment