Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sing A Song Of Love To Me….. *

Cheryl Lynn Tri 09/19/1987 -01/24/2008


July 27th 2006 we found out our beautiful daughter had cancer. Today, Cheryl has lost the battle and is now in a place where the cancer and the associated pain can no longer touch her. The last few days were pretty rough for her and our family, but we were able to keep our promise to her that she would stay at home till the end. Greg was also able to spend time at home with his sister which was good for both of them.

Greg called home from ISU the other night and Cheryl was able to talk to him and sing a song for all of us. Her singing was so pretty, we will miss it forever. I was able to find the song she sang and it is the title of this post. The url to the lyrics is posted below. Surprising how even with the pain and the morphine she was able to come up with a song that sums up her thoughts and desire. He called her again last night and his voice brought a smile to her face.

I want to say thanks from our family to all Cheryl friends out there, for being there for her in her time of need, stopping by to visit or posting comments in her blog. I can’t tell you what it meant to her seeing a new posting when she got on the internet. Cheryl always loved having her friends over, even when the pain and the meds made her want to sleep all day. She said a prayer for all of her friends last night and is at peace with God.

I have often debated in my mind over the last 18+ months if losing a child quickly in an auto accident or battling a long term disease and enjoying the extra time you have with them is better. Each brings a pain that a parent should never have to endure. The pain in our hearts may someday fade, but I will always remember Cheryl as she was on her graduation day; so beautiful and full of life, ready to take on the world. She is in a better place, but we miss her already…

We have planned a noon memorial service for Cheryl next Saturday February 2 at Bethel Lutheran Church, 810 3rd Ave Rochester. Visitation will be from 10 to noon at the church prior to the memorial. Folks have asked us about flowers and memorials. Per Cheryl's wishes, instead of flowers, we would prefer memorials to the Make A Wish Foundation.

Love, Steve, Kathy & Greg



* Sing A Song Of Love To Me – Chris Rea

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/chris+rea/sing+a+song+of+love+to+me_20030529.html

57 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy and Greg -- There are no words to express our sorrow at the loss of your beatutiful, wonderful daughter. Cheryl is in God's arms today and I hope that you can feel the peace of those arms around you as well.

Dave said...

You have all of our deepest, deepest sympathies, thoughts, and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy and Greg,

We will also remember Cheryl as she was at graduation, prom and forever in my mind...her conducting the piece for the choir. I know her light will shine very bright. Thank you again for keeping us informed when Cheryl couldn't. We are here for whatever you need.

The Hacklers

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have read Cheryl's blogs each posting and prayed for her each night. I had never met Cheryl but I will always have in my heart the words of strength, courage and tremendous spirit that she has expressed in these postings. She was a remarkable young lady.

Anonymous said...

There are no words sufficient to express our feelings. You have our deepest sympathies and will be in our thoughts.

-Kevin & Paige

Anonymous said...

To the Tri Family - We are so sorry for your loss and what you had to endure over the past 18+ months. Words can not help the pain, we wish they could... today we all are truly saddened by this.
May memories dry your tears and time heal your hearts. God Bless,
Neal and Mary Dobberke

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathy, Steve and Greg,

We got word from you parents this morning. I just logged onto the blog and read the comments and prayers of others. I'm so sorry and wish we could be there for you. Cheryl touched the lives of many people through her strength, courage and fun-loving spirit. She will never be forgotten. Hugs and prayers of comfort to all of you.

Love, Bart, Janice and Cheryl Schlaeppi

Anonymous said...

I am so terribly sorry for the loss you have all suffered. Cheryl has been on my mind constantly throughout the past 18+ months.

I have never met Cheryl. . . But I know Greg some. I'll never forget when my mom called me to tell me about Greg's sister, and her diagnosis. Your family has been on my mind ever since.

This week, instead of working hard in the office, I went back to the beginning of Chery's journey, and read each blog entry, from start to finish. I am continuely amazed by that woman. Her strength and courage through all of this will never be forgotten.

I am glad that we have this blog, so when we're all missing Cheryl and her quit wit, we can go back and read the words that she so beautifully wrote.

Anonymous said...

I can assure you that the world will never be the same without Cheryl Tri. I can also assure you that heaven will never shine brighter.

Please accept my most heartfelt condolensces.

Anonymous said...

I am very deeply sorry for your loss.

Thank you for allowing us to share in this journey with you. Life will never be the same, but at the same time, I am so grateful that we will all forever have these beautiful posts by Chery.

May peace surround you all.

Anonymous said...

You all have our deepest sympathies in the loss of a truly amazing daughter, sister, and friend. You are in our prayers.

The Covalts

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy and Greg... Deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

May you all find strength in knowing that Cheryl is forever healed.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy & Greg ~ words can't come close to what is in our hearts - our deepest sympathies and prayers to you all.
God bless,
The Raddatz Family

Unknown said...

Kathy, Greg and Steve - Our prayers are with you all. Please accept our heartfelt condolences.
~Vikrant Ruttala

Anonymous said...

Heaven has another angel...

Anonymous said...

Letter From Heaven

To my dearest family, some things I’d like to say.

But first of all, to let you know, that I arrived okay.

I’m writing this from heaven. Here I dwell with God above.

Here, there are no more tears of sadness; here is just eternal love.

Please do not be unhappy just because I’m out of sight.

Remember that I am with you every morning, noon and night.

That day I had to leave you when my life on earth was through.

God picked me up and hugged me and he said, “I welcome you.

It’s good to have you back again, you were missed while

You were gone. As for your dearest family, they’ll be here later on.

There’s so much that we have to do, to help our mortal man.”

God gave me a list of things that he wished for me to do.

And foremost on the list, was to watch and care for you.

And when you lie in bed at night, the day’s chores put to flight.

God and I are closest to you…in the middle of the night.

When you think of my life on earth, and all those loving years,

Because you are only human, they are bound to bring you tears.

But do not be afraid to cry; it does relieve the pain. Remember

There would be no flowers, unless there was some rain.

I wish that I could tell you all that God has planned.

If I were to tell you, you wouldn’t understand.

But one thing is for certain, though my life on earth is o’er.

I’m closer to you now, than I ever was before.

There are many rocky roads ahead of you and many hills to climb;

But together we can do it by taking one day at a time.

It was always my philosophy and I’d like it for you too;

That as you give unto the world, the world will give to you.

When you’re walking down the street and you’ve got Me on

Your mind; I’m walking in your footsteps only half a step behind.

And when it’s time for you to go…from that body to be free.

Remember you’re not going…you’re coming here to Me.

Author: Richard Mahaffey

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy and Greg,
We are so very sorry for all that you have had to go through. May you find comfort in knowing Cheryl's pain is over and strength in the knowledge of how many lives she has so positively affected.
May God bless you.

The Hurtis Family

Anonymous said...

Cheryl's words have shown that this disease may take her body but could not win her spirit. We are thankful for her that it can no longer bring her pain, but share in the sorrow of your loss.

Steve, Kathy and Greg - you will be in our hearts and prayers, we ask God's comfort for you in these sorrowful hours and days.

Greg and Lynda Jo

Anonymous said...

Kathy, Steve, and Greg, I wanted you guys to know this: All of Cheryl's buddies from choir, drama, and band are gathering together, caring for each other, on the stage in the auditorium. I can't think of a better place for them to be, to feel close to Cheryl. She has touched SO many lives. There's a choir of angels with a new member.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy and Greg,
We, too, have followed Cheryl's blog and her gallant, spirited battle against cancer. What an inspiration! Our thoughts and prayers are with you as they have been these last 18 months. May God give you His peace.
The Taubels

Anonymous said...

it's hard to put into words what everyone is feeling right now - except for the words sorry. Cheryl is someone that will never leave our memories. She was worried about leaving with everyone remembering her as a 'sick girl' but nobody will remember her that way. Everyone will remember her as the fun-filled woman that had a positive outlook on everything! We will also remember her as determined - someone who never gave up and that held true through her illness. She is no longer suffering and that's probably what is best for her. She is now looking down on us from a pain-free zone. She will be waiting for us probably singing and playing her sax all along the way.

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I am so extremely sorry for your loss.

I will always remember Cheryl as a beautiful, and intelligent young woman, who was taken from this earth way too soon.

Anonymous said...

I cry and mourn with your family. I am listening to the beautiful song she sang for you all. What strength that woman had!

Please have peace and comfort in knowing that in Cheryl's short years on earth, she achieved much more than most achieve in a full lifetime.

I am so sorry for you loss.

Anonymous said...

The world has just lost someone more special than words will ever be able to express.

My prayers are with you all.

Anonymous said...

John 11:25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
May God give you peace and strength at this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

We are so sorry for the loss of Cheryl, your daughter who was and will always be so many important things to you; a sister who will always be needed and missed. She is with you, but not in pain. Her love for you will always be.

Anonymous said...

Steve and Kathy

I do not know quite how to express my sympathy at this at this most difficult loss. I did not know Cheryl but knowing both of you, I am absolutely certain that she is one of the most special people anyone could know. You all certainly fought the best fight against some very long odds. You are in my prayers and thoughts.

John Reed

Anonymous said...

Kathy, Steve, and Greg:

Today Cheryl's body may have lost her fight to cancer, but because of Cheryl, and this incredible blog, she has brought the focus of cancer where it needs to be; prevention. This blog will allow Cheryl to continue to fight this terrible disease through the words she chose to share with us. I pray many heed her words of wisdom.

I cannot describe the pain I have in my heart, or the sorrow my soul feels right now, though I know Cheryl is in heaven; who knows, she may already be directing a choir of angels. I would like to share the words Pastor Mark shares with us over and over again, "We love you and we care about you."

May God continue to guide, guard, and direct you in all you do and say. Peace is with you. As always, all of our Christian love and prayers are in your favor.

Be blessed and be a blessing,
Deb Vosler

Anonymous said...

Cheryl has changed and touched so many lives through this blog. Because of Cheryl, I know we'll all hold our loved ones tighter, and not sweat the small stuff so much.

What a remarkable young woman you two raised. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all who loved and were touched by Cheryl Tri.

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry.
words can being to describe.
Such a sad loss for the world to let go. Were missing you cheryl, and thinking for you, greg, kathy, and steve.

Anonymous said...

Tri Family, When I first heard about your plight, I wanted to say something. I didn't know what to say then and I don't know what to say now. I have experienced your loss and I know your pain. We know our destination, it is the journey that is hard. This is a very difficult time and I will remember you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I am so, so incredibly sorry for your loss. Your entire family is in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

Anonymous said...

I met Cheryl a few years ago during Cross Country. She was always happy and had a smile on her face, even during the toughest workouts. She was such a great person. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Audrey Demarco (Decker)

Anonymous said...

One of the MANY things that I will remember about Cheryl, is that in her blog entries, even though she was dealing with a terminal illness, her message was always upbeat and positive. She would apologize in her writings for being negative, yet Cheryl's negativity compared to the negativity in this world. . . Well, the two cannot even be compared. For the past 18+ months, Cheryl has known her fate, yet she continued to live life to the fullest. SHE CONTINUED TO LIVE.

Steve and Kathy. . . You two must be so proud to call Cheryl your daughter. And Greg, you must be so proud to have Cheryl as your big sister.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I cannot even imagine the pain of losing a daughter or a sister, but please know that there are so many of us lifting you up in prayer.

Anonymous said...

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!"

"Gone where?"

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!" there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: "Here she comes!"

And that is dying....

Henry Van Dyke


I am so sorry for your loss. May you find strength in one another in the days to come.

Anonymous said...

The world is an emptier place without Cheryl.

She will always be my hero.

Anonymous said...

I love you, Cheryl.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy & Greg,
Words are so hollow at a time like this. We have been honored knowing Cheryl and the rest of the family. May your memories of the good times offer you some comfort through the tough times. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless
The Roos'

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, you won!!! You beat the cancer monster with determination, dignity, intellect, wit, and grace.

I'm so happy to have known you and believe your parents are even prouder of the impact you've made on so many people's lives. Through your short journey, you've touched more people than folks who live a much longer life.

We'll miss you greatly but suspect you'll be shooting pictures of flowers for your new blog on the big Internet in the sky. Some day, we'll all be able to be together--to share stories, to laugh, and to sing.

Go in peace. Don't worry about your family. They'll cry and miss you terribly because you are so important to them. They'll always have a special place in their hearts for you and your loss will never go away. We'll do our best to take good care of them: that's what friends are for.

Thank you. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

I haven't spoken since I transferred out of Dover-Eyota many years ago, but she was always a girl I remembered. Her and I were on many teams and activities together. She always had a certain extremely positive light about her that you can't soon forget. She was an extraordinary person and by skimming through this blog, is sounds like even cancer couldn't get her down. I’m extremely saddened by this news and I wish your family the absolute best. I’m very proud to know Cheryl when I did and I will continue to remember her as someone everyone should strive to be more like.

Anonymous said...

Peace be with you all -
Chuck, Deb, Kacey & Justin Stanbro

Anonymous said...

My deepest sympathy. My prayers have been with you. I just heard from a Bethel member about Cheryl a couple of weeks ago and have been following her blog since. She sounds like she was an amazing girl. May God keep you strong thru this time and into the future.

Juli Donovan

Anonymous said...

I girded myself against this day, but it was still hard to hear the news. Cheryl was a true original and an amazing person.

She will never be forgotten.

--Sean Little

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. I didn't know Cheryl personally, but knew of her, it's a shame she was taken so soon.


--Sarah Q

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your loss. I have followed this beautiful blog since day one of it's creation, and although we were all aware of Cheryl's terminal illness, it didn't make her loss any easier to bear.

Your daughter and sister will never be forgotten.

Anonymous said...

I love you and miss you, Cheryl!

Anonymous said...

Ireland I am coming home I can see your rolling fields of green
And fences made of stone. I am reaching out won’t you take my hand
I’m coming home ireland.

Cheryl was comforted by this song, and I am comforted knowing that she can be happy again, even though I will never stop missing her.

my love and prayers are with all of you

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy and Greg,
Our hearts go out to you. You have our deepest sympathies.
You are in our thoughts and prayers.
God Bless,
Curt, Annette and Brennan Hanson

Anonymous said...

Kathy, Steve & Greg,

My heart goes out to you, and you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers every day. I have learned so much from Cheryl. I will always keep her entry from her new blog titled "Questions and Understanding" close by. I feel blessed to have known Cheryl.

Glenda

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy, and Greg,
I want to thank you for sharing your beautiful daughter and sister with our family. She brought so much joy despite the journey she was walking. We feel blessed to have been allowed to walk that journey with her and you. We will miss her smile and her laughter and remember her courage! All our love, Nancy Tony Ben and Adam Hammel

Anonymous said...

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give your rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

Anonymous said...

God's Lent Child
I’ll lend you for a little while, a child of mine, God said
For you to love the while she lives and mourn for when she’s dead.
It may be six or seven years, or forty-two or three
But will you, till I call her back, take care of her for me?

She’ll bring her charms to gladden you and should her stay be brief
You’ll always have her memories as a solace in your grief.
I cannot promise she will stay, since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught below I want this child to learn.

I’ve looked this whole world over in my search for teachers true
And from the folk that crowd Life’s lane I have chosen you.
Now will you give her all your love and not think the labour vain,
Nor hate me when I come to take this lent child back again?

I fancy that I heard them say “Dear God, thy will be done.
For all the joys this child will bring the risk of grief we’ll run.
We will shelter her with tenderness, we’ll love her while we may
And for all the happiness we’ve ever known, we’ll ever grateful stay.
But should the angels call her much sooner than we’d planned
We will brave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand."
~ Author Unknown

Anonymous said...

"heart break is life educating us" George Bernard Shaw

Through her blog and her life, and for everyone she reached out to, Cheryl educated us in a way that we will never forget.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy and Greg

Our sympathy to you in this difficult time. When I read your post about Cheryl singing a song in her final hours of her life, the song "Sing" that was recorded by the Carpenters jumped into my mind. May these words be of some comfort knowing that Cheryl did what she loved (music) right up to the end.


Sing, sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong
Sing of good things not bad
Sing of happy not sad.

Sing, sing a song
Make it simple to last
Your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not
Good enough for anyone
Else to hear
Just sing, sing a song.

Sing, sing a song
Let the world sing along
Sing of love there could be
Sing for you and for me.

Sing, sing a song
Make it simple to last
Your whole life long
Don't worry that it's not
Good enough for anyone
Else to hear
Just sing, sing a song.

Words & Music by Joe Raposo

Anonymous said...

I was at work when I saw the obituaries today. I instantly lost all control and starting crying when I saw her name. Cheryl was an amazing person; smart, talented in so many ways, funny, genuine, and the list goes on and on. She was an overall amazing person and she will never be forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tris,

Cheryl was always a special girl, and will be missed by so many. It's still hard to imagine the world without her.

Wishing you comfort and peace.

The Eidems