Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hello there, my old friend... *

Hello everyone, no this is not Cheryl but her dad. I know a lot of caring people have followed her blog and wondering what is the latest is with her. I was hoping that she would feel good enough one day over the holiday break to update her blog, but that day never came. So while I may not be as creative in my writing as Cheryl, I will try to keep you up to date. Here are some of the things that have transpired over the last month


Pre-XMas

It was a busy week at home prior to XMas. We had a trip to the ER on Tuesday (12/11) that turned out to be rapid heart beat, dehydration, and shortness of breath. Cheryl was a trooper and after a couple IV bags she wanted to leave. We were able to escape without a trip to the Oncology care center or spending the night there as the Doctors were trying to recommend. She hates spending te night at the hospital and I can’t blame her for wanting to go home. The rest of the week was spent trying to make Cheryl comfortable and to going to pick up Greg who was done with classes till the next Monday. Pain management and sleep are the two things we are dealing with at home. Cheryl gets tired easily and cannot move around as easily as she did last month. We got a walker but her hip gets sore with just a few steps.

We went to see Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat at Chanhassen December 16th and we all enjoyed the play. Was a lot of work to get her there but worth the trip there to see the smile on her face during the play! She didn’t eat much for supper but really like the death by chocolate cake she had. I had brought along the Joseph CD we had at home and she sang the songs in the truck on the way home till she finally fell asleep. On Monday we went in for a quick chemo (no change in the drugs) and a visit with Pitot. Having Greg back to spend time with her is great. He spent a lot of time with her and it wasn’t uncommon after being out late to sleep in till mid morning or later with her.

2008

I would like to say with the New Year we are seeing changes in Cheryl for the better but that is not the case. We were able to spend time with family & friends over the XMas break but traveling gets harder & harder for her. Since Cheryl didn't make any New Year parties, we had a small N-Y day party at our place and she was able to have a number of her old school friends stop by and visit with her. The cancer has brought back pains to her arm and neck again and is leaving her tired during the day and a bit restless at night. Kathy & I are with her at night and try to make her as comfortable as possible.

We had planned on taking Cheryl in for Chemo treatments as they did seem to help the pains in her liver area. The panitumumab had less side effects vs the previous drugs she has had and the 1-2 days of discomfort were better than a constant pain in her side. We also had a meeting with her doctor planned as he still wants to monitor her progress. We ended up going to neither appointment and have scheduled no additional ones in 2008. Cheryl has decided that the pain of getting there is not worth the treatments.

We now have Cheryl in an in-home Hospice program now with a nurse stopping out twice a week. The nurse, Sandy, is real nice and she can provide us with advice on how to do things the right way. Not much change in her pain meds just increasing the doses here & there. Through the program though, we did get an oxygen concentrator for by the bed and tanks of oxygen for when she wants to move around the house. (The pain she has moving around limits her to the upstairs now and for the most part, in our bed or the hospital bed we added to the room.) I can't say if the extra O2 helps but at times it does seem to calm her down & lets her relax. She sleeps now most of the day, getting up to drink some OJ, water, or a quick small bite to eat. We have moved to morphine to ease the pain but I can’t say that is working any better that the Oxycodone. We spend a lot of time rubbing her back as she likes that probably the best.

I didn’t want to end this update on a down note though. Cheryl loves her orchids and one recently bloomed, so I added a picture of it for you to see and think of her.

As always, we really appreciate your thoughts & prayers for Cheryl!!


Steve & Kathy



* Life By The Drop » Stevie Ray Vaughan

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, Steve, Greg and Cheryl:

Thank you again for sharing this very painful journey. I am glad Kelby got to spend some time with Cheryl on Christmas day. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how we can help. Tell Cheryl we won't forget her talent, creativity, and strength. We will miss her very much.

The Hacklers

Anonymous said...

Steve,
Thanks for sharing your recent journey with all of us. Cheryl and your family have been close to my thoughts and prayers these last few weeks. I trust knowing there are many who care about you all even from afar will be a comfort.
Ann (friend of aunt linda's)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to update us. We have been thinking of your family daily and wishing you strength during this trying time.


The Fisch Family

Anonymous said...

Steve,
Thank you for updating for Cheryl. We have been following her blog and praying for all of you. I have so admired the strength, courage & honesty of her writing. What a remarkable young lady! Please know that so many people, many that you may not even know personally, are praying for all of you. We are truly sorry that you have even had to endure this journey.
God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy, Cheryl, and Greg-

We have considered it a great privilege to have been able to spend time with your family over the years- the numerous hours of scouts, sports, band, plays, tai kwon do, birthday parties, etc. You have each touched us in a special way. We are especially honored to have known Cheryl all of these years. Be sure she knows that she will always be fondly remembered! We found pictures of the kids when they were little, some with the most adorable smiles on Cheryl's face. Her smile has always been contagious and her wittiness always so profound for such a young girl. Her courage has been an inspiration for many. She will be greatly missed!

We pray for each of you and your extended family as Cheryl's time draws near. We pray that God gives you the strength you need and peace in your hearts.

Thank you for letting Laura, Jase and Ann spend time with Cheryl these past few weeks. They have many sweet memories...

We love you all so much,
The Millers
Rich & Lisa
Laura, Nate, & Jon

Anonymous said...

Thank you for updating for Cheryl. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I care so much about all of you. I never really knew what an orchid looked like before Cherly showed us a picture of one here on her blog, and now I will always think of her when I see an orchid.
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Thank you so much for providing this update on Cheryl. Each day when I arrive at work, I check Cheryl's blog for updates. It had been a while since she last updated, and I was hoping it was because she was so busy with friends and family, and not because her health had deteriorated.

It's so hard to know what to say to all of you, and I fear that little can be said to provide comfort. All I can tell you is you have a remarkable daughter (which I am sure is not news to you) and she has showed such courage and strength through this. I can only imagine how proud you are all of her.

Please know that your entire family, especially Cheryl, are constantly in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve and Kathy;
I have also followed Cheryl's blog daily. I am Ben's aunt, Barbara in Wisconsin. We have had the pleasure of getting to know Cheryl in her most trying time but I must share a memory of Cheryl before she was ill. The first time I met Cheryl was a good 3 years ago. I was visiting my sister her family for the weekend. Ben's 4 piece sax group was there to practice. I came upstairs to listen to them practice and meet all. The look on Cheryl's face as she played her instrument was beautiful. I thought to myself what a winning smile and engaged expression. Then the song was over and they desolved into a sea of conversation and jokes and I saw what a quick wit she has. Thank you for sharing your daughter with us all. Tell Cheryl people all over the world have followed her blog and feel priviledged to have been with her on her journey.
Sincerely
Barbara Mueller

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update.

Cheryl will always be a symbol of strength for me. She will live on in my heart and my soul forever.

--little

Anonymous said...

Steve, Kathy, Cheryl & Greg ~

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all each and every day. It is difficult to know what to do or say. Please know that so many people are praying for your family. May God give you peace and the strength to get through the days ahead. Cheryl has been such an inspiration throughout her illness – even when she had bad days, she stayed strong for the rest of us through her blog. Cheryl is a witty, creative, talented, intelligent young woman and will live on in our hearts forever.

Scott, Julie, Nicole & Brittany

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, Greg, Steve and Kathy-

I am glad that you have updated, I know that there are many concerned people out there that were wondering how Cheryl was doing. It is hard to know what to say, except that you are all in my prayers. From what I know of your family, you guys will all look to the positive side of things. Tell Cheryl that she will never be forgotten, and she has been an inspiration for me to live like it was my last day here. I hope she doesn't hold any regrets, and I know that she doesn't. She is a great person that I am glad I got to know. She is a wonderful actress, musician but most of all friend. She will be greatly missed.

God Bless

Anonymous said...

Cheryl Im sorry to hear you still havent been feeling better. i hope your visitors have brought some happiness to you :)
I dont want to think that soon you might not be with is. Ive known you for so long and am not ready to let go. I know you worry about being 'the sick girl' in peoples memories but that isnt the case. I will always remember you as a talented actress (i will never forget you as the lead in Big whoop- i have never liked a high school play, or any play, as much as i did that one!), the smart girl everyone hoped to be paired with for group projects, your sassy straighforwardness ("you guys are being ridiculous!") and (i have to mention this for some reason, it totally sticks in my mind!) as a 5th grade girl scout- solely because i remember at a girl scout meeting you played the titanic song on the piano and i remember being soooooooooo impressed that you could do that. But that was jsut another example of the person you are- hardworking and unforgettable. I love you, C-Tri! I hope someones reading you all these messages me are sending. I hope I have the chance to tell you mine in person.

Love, Katie Herbers

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, Greg, Steve, and Kathy:
what everyone else said pretty much sums it up for me; you are all in my thoughts and prayers constantly, and I am wishing you all the very best. I'm glad I got to visit you with Ann, Katie, and Kassie. Every morning I drive into RCTC I say a prayer for you as I drive by your street. Cheryl, I truly love you and will never forget you or your stellar attitude and courage. You've taught us all to appreciate life and the little things in our every day. I just want you to know how much I care, how much everyone else that knows you cares.
We love you Cheryl!

~Helen

Anonymous said...

To the Tri family, may God give you the strength you need, day by day.... thinking of you and praying for you every day

Neal & Mary D.

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, Steve, Kathy & Greg,

Words cannot express the feelings that we have for you, Cheryl, and your family. You are a remarkable young woman and have taught us all lessons in strength and life and cherishing that which truly matters. May God bless you all.

The Hurtis Family

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update, Steve. Your whole family is constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We are so grateful to have been able to share in Cheryl's journey through this blog, she is such an inspiration to many people. God bless you all.
The Joel Dubbels family

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Thank you for sharing this very personal time with us. Cheryl will forever be the definition of grace and courage for us. Our thoughts are with you, Kathy, Greg and most of all Cheryl.

Sherry, Mark, Travis and Molly Milstein

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, Kathy, Steve And Greg,

You all are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Thanks for sharing this tremendous challenge with us. Your family is so strong. It is our honor to know you. Take Care
the Roos'

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us all share in this journey with you. I cannot even begin to comprehend how difficult all of your lives have been since Cheryl's diagnosis. I am from Eyota, but have never even met Cheryl, yet there isn't a day that goes by where I'm not thinking of her and her journey constantly.

I hope you all find strength and courage in the days ahead. And I hope you know how much Cheryl will always be loved and missed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.
we have been following, hoping, praying for strength for all of you.

I can only tell you that we are thinking of you, we wish we had something more to offer in this twisted path. We are thinking of you all.

The Covalts.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cheryl and family,

Cheryl, you probably don't remember us, but your parents know who we are. We remember you in your little "Cherub Choir" robe at Bethel with the big red bows. You and our kids grew up at church together, but over the past years we have each taken our own paths.

Through your blog we have been given incite on the path you chose and then the path you have been forced to follow. We know you graduated as valedictorian from your high school (impressive), love music and nature, and try to make the best of every challenge. You have had more than your share of challenges these past few years! We can tell you are a hard working, deep thinking, "tell it like it is" kind of person. At your age this is quite a gift. We need more Cheryl Tris in our world!

Your perspective on how to live life whether healthy or ill and your appreciation for God's creation - down to the very smallest flower, is a testimony of the amazing character, intelligence and spirit you have within you.

Be assured that you have touched the lives of many (including our family), even though we have gotten to know you from a distance. You have posted great thoughts and challenges for anyone that reads them, and in a way that each of us will rethink what is really important in life.

You are a strong, gifted girl, that doesn't deserve the pain you and your family has had to deal with. But, you have reached beyond your illness and shared something with us that we can all embrace and would be foolish to overlook - that life is a gift and it should not be taken for granted. Also, you have shown us that one person can influence and inspire many, even those we don't know personally.

Our prayer is that the Tri family can find peace and comfort, holding onto your love for each other, while you deal with these disappointments and tears. You have all been an amazing witness to what it means to support each other as a family and we hope you find some comfort in knowing you have touched us all.

The Ray and Carrie Harney family

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, Steve, Kathy and Greg,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let us know know if we can help in any way.

God bless you all.

The Tamminga family