Friday, September 01, 2006

The Battle

I rose at the crack of dawn and surveyed the blood red sky. Today there would be a battle.
It was actually more like 9:15 a.m. and the weather outside was beautiful, but today was the day, after over a month of neglect, that I was going to clean my room.
I consumed a hearty meal and bathed in an ice cold pool to strengthen my mind and body for the coming battle.
Two delicious cinnamon roles, compliments of Mrs. Hackler. Next was the decision to shower and shave my legs so I no longer resembled Sasquatch; however, I ran out of hot water and was forced to complete said shower with cold water. Eep.
Armed with only wrist armor and the protection of a guardian angel, I stood at the edge of the battlefield, viewing the treacherous mountains and the lone path that would provide my only chance at victory.
I wore my lucky monkey bracelet and kept the angel-type worry stone that was given to me by Diane Tri (Thanks, I love it!) in my pocket: I needed all the help I could get. There were clothes everywhere, no joke. They were forming piles over almost every bit of floor space, leaving one small path that let me reach my bed at night, and even that was beginning to be filled with clutter.
This was it. It was now that destiny would take me in its arms and hurl me wherever it pleased. I could enter this battle and return triumphant or I could be lost forever, left to rot at the base of some cruel mountain. But I could not turn back. I took the one step that brought me face to face with the enemy.
One last thought of letting it stay messy for just one more day and I walked in and grabbed the first pile of clothes to be taken and sorted in the living room.
They were everywhere, creeping out of dark crevices and leaping at me from all sides. I charged and threw a fraction to the side. I could win this battle, if only I could persevere until its end.
Grab a pile, sort a pile, throw some of it away, keep some of it to be put away, and repeat…
The battle was not yet over, but my enemies were falling at my feet and the count of their less fortunate comrades was increasing.
Four bags to send to Good Will and a considerably smaller fraction of clothes to be returned to my closet, but there was still some various junk that I needed to sort through and throw away before my room could pass for "clean."
At last, victory! I proudly stood at the center of the battlefield, feeling the pride and glory that could only come after a great battle.
After four and a half hours, my room was finally clean. Woooooo! My bed was made and everything! I even sorted out some of the storage tubs and vacuumed under my bed. You should have heard the screams as the dust bunnies tried to flee. Mwa-ha-ha! =D

So that was basically my day: with the help of my mother, I cleaned my room. I took a picture of it, but then my camera died and I don’t know where its charger is so I can't post it on the blog. But besides the new-found cleanliness of my room, I think the rest of today will be filled with eating dinner and going to the D-E football game. Should be fun.

Let’s see what else have I done this week…

Monday I started my online class work, just like I promised. I got through a chapter of biology Monday, a chapter of sociology Tuesday and Wednesday, and Thursday a chapter of math and some other odds and ends involving all the classes.

Besides class work, my week has included…

Monday night I went to the ninth grade football game and got to sit in the announcer’s stand with Ben while he ran the clock. That was fun.

Tuesday evening Ben was at my house and we watched some TV with Greg. That was pretty much the highlight of my day.

Wednesday was a good day. I got blood drawn at the Northeast clinic (a nice, easy to get at facility) and after that Greg and I went to the high school so I could have a saxophone lesson. I’m really enjoying having lessons. We work on everything: scales, tone, breathing, and different styles of music. Mr. Anderson and I had another go at the piano/sax piece and it went a lot better this time and actually started to sound like a song. I’m excited to see how it turns out once we both get our parts down. I sent my saxophone off to Eckroth music too. Hopefully they can tell me if it’s my horn or me who is at fault for making my low D sound so horrible. Wednesday evening I went to the movie “Accepted” with Beth. It was a good time. The movie was actually pretty funny. “I want to blow up stuff with my mind.” Hehe. I recommend you see it.

Thursday was Greg’s cross country meet at Stewartville. I think this year was the first year I’ve ever been to a Stewartville meet and it hasn’t been over a hundred degrees. Greg did quite well, I think. He placed fifteenth against twenty other schools worth of boys, even with a bad blister on his foot. Yay, Greg! After the meet Mom, Ben, and I headed to Hangars Bar & Grill for dinner since Dad and Greg were off to go fishing up north.

So now it’s Friday and I’ve already reported the day’s activities. I don’t know what my plans are for the weekend, though I’m hoping they involve swimming and some shopping.

Oh, I have some thank-you’s. I’d like to thank Master Park and the Black Belt Association of Park Institute for the Michael’s/Hobby Lobby gift cards. They will most definitely be put to use. I’d also like to thank the following families for the parking permit money and signed T-shirt: Crowson’s, Daniels’, Erickson’s, Hackler’s, Hedin’s, Johnson’s, Kaehler’s, Lund’s, Mayers’, and Winter’s. The money for the parking permit is appreciated and we thank you for your support. =D

I hope everyone has a good Labor Day weekend and with that I’ll conclude today’s post.

~Cheryl

5 comments:

Drama Boss said...

CHERYL!!!!!!!!

I miss you... :(

-jase

~())

Anonymous said...

"Ask me about my weiner!"...hehe...yea, that movie was def worth seeing. Hope you are having a fabulous weekend!!
~Beth

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, I hope you are having a fun Labor Day weekend! Hang strong this next week.

Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl! It was good to see you on Saturday, I would have liked to hang with you longer. Maybe a phone call is in order? I know you're not much of a fan though. Just miss you.

Laura

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
Hope your biology test went well. Enjoy your day before all of your appointments at the clinic begin. Best Wishes, Tom and Karen