Sunday, October 01, 2006

"Something Told the Wild Geese..."

Something told the wild geese
It was time to go.
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered, "snow."
Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries, luster-glossed,
But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned, "frost."
All the sagging orchards
Steamed with amber spice
But each wild breast stiffened
At remembered ice.
Something told the wild geese
It was time to fly -
Summer sun was on their wings,
Winter in their cry.
~Rachel Field

I always felt this poem was the epitome of fall. My junior high choir sang it for our first concert and I loved the haunting melody and all the autumn images in conjured.

Lucky for all us south-eastern Minnesotans the next couple days promise to be anything but frosty and I, for one, will exploit the good weather to its fullest.

Now to recall what I’ve been up to since I last posted…

Well, last Saturday and Sunday I didn’t do much of anything because I felt crummy from the chemo, though on Sunday I did go to Ben’s bro’s confirmation reception with my family and we all ate and visited for a while.

Monday I started to bounce back and somewhere between Monday and Wednesday I went to a soccer game, helped out with play practice, went to Petit Music and Hobby Lobby, and baby-sat Ani with Veronika. It was all fun, though I wasn’t bundled up enough at the soccer game and ended-up with cold-sensitive hands and nose, which is really weird; having a nose that is super-tingly when you touch it is just odd.

Thursday I spent reading and finishing a book called “The Naming” by Alison Croggon. It was really good, but what was weird was that the author made it sound like all the things that took place in the book were real, which seems unlikely since there was magic and mystical creatures, like wers, included in the story. I read the appendices and I guess that some texts were found that implied that there was an Atlantis of sorts and that this was the society that inhabited it. Here’s a link to the online version of the appendices: http://www.alisoncroggon.com/fantasy/brief.html. It’s an interesting idea that there was real magic on our planet once, but I don’t know how much faith I’d put in believing that it’s true.

Later Thursday I went to brass band rehearsal. I’m really having fun playing with this band. I’m even on the first saxophone part and get to play a solo! It’s a pretty solo too in a song called “A Rhapsody for Hanukah.” I don’t know when we’re having any concerts, but I’ll be sure to let you all know in case you want to come and listen. We play lots of marches, two steps, and other bouncy songs, so it’s fun to listen to.

Friday morning Mom and I ran into Rochester to get me some decent winter gloves and matching hat so that I wouldn’t have to worry about tingly appendages at games anymore. We also picked up a pair of fashionable, fuzzy boots that keep my feet nice and warm. That evening I went to the football game with Veronika. Sadly, it was raining and we lost the game, but afterwards Veronika and I went to the Country CafĂ© for pie and hot chocolate, so all was well. =D

Yesterday was awesome. The day started early with having to get ready for buddy pictures with Greg in Stewartville. It didn’t take long to get our photographs taken and there were a couple that turned out, so that’s good. When we got home I changed into comfy clothes and lounged around the living room. I ended-up buying this addicting computer game called Talismania. It’s so fun; the goal of the game is to rotate tile pieces so you can make as long a circuit as possible to earn coins to help King Midas build various things for other people. I played it for a while and when Greg got back from his run I told him he should try it, so we both ended-up playing it for the rest of the morning and into the early afternoon. Then Ben came over and the three of us were playing it for a little while. It really is an addicting game. When we were done with Talismania, Ben and I grabbed a blanket and enjoyed the great outdoors by napping in a partially sunny spot in the yard. Zoe, my dog, thought that was great. She’d run up to us and roll on the blanket and then she’d go off to get her ball and give it to us to throw. Soon it was dinner time and we went in and had steak and potatoes and watched an episode of Stargate SG-1. Earlier that day Lori Ehlenfeldt had called and said she had some music for Veronika and I to look at, so Ben and I picked-up Veronika after dinner and we headed to the Ehlendfeldt’s. Then, surprise! My friends had been planning a surprise birthday party for me. It was great! Almost all my friends were there, even the one’s who are far away at college. I was so happy to see everyone and the party was really fun. We had a bonfire and all lounged around and talked and there were fireworks and everything. I couldn’t have asked for more. Thanks to everyone who came and were involved in the planning. It was the best present ever. =D

So now it’s Sunday. I got up around 8:30 a.m. and wandered into the living room to read the Sunday comics. Mom had just left to go ride horse, Dad was getting ready to grocery shopping, and Greg was still sleeping, so soon I was left by myself. I finished reading the comics and decided that my bed had been abnormally comfortable this morning, so I retreated back to my room and slept until 10 a.m. I woke-up again and Dad was home and had brought me donuts. So I had a donut with chocolate frosting and Halloween themed sprinkles for breakfast. Delicious. Then I showered and now I’m working on this post. I don’t know what I’ll be doing for the rest of the day. I think I’ll call some of my friends who are in town for the weekend and see if they want to hang-out. Maybe they’ll be in the mood to enjoy the nice weather outside too. Either way, it looks like today promises to be a good day.

Thanks again to everybody.

Much love,
Cheryl

4 comments:

Drama Boss said...

I'm so sad I couldn't come to the party! :( But I'm super glad you had fun, and I hope the rest of your week is just as great. I'll be coming back Wednesday night and staying till Sunday sometime. So we can spend lots of time together! Yay!

I'll see you (I hope) on Thursday!

-jase

~())

Helen said...

Cheryl! I'm glad the party was so good, I really really loved it! It was so great seeing you seniors of '06 again, you guys are my true best friends, wish you all were my age, then we could be at school together again! Thanks to Ehlenfeldt's for the great party! Hope to see you at practice soon Cheryl!
Helen

Anonymous said...

Hey... im glad your party went so well, i really wanted to come down. I am coming this weekend (homecoming) so you better be ready for me, hehe. see you soon
brie

Anonymous said...

Hello Cheryl (Thursday 10/5), I am sooooo glad we finally got to meet yesterday (even though it was at the Gonda Building). I hope all the news you got yesterday for your appointments was great news !
Just read through your post - sounds great for the sax lead - knock them off their chairs! AND a surprise B-Day party - even better.
My youngest (Tom) turns 21 today - yikes, Am I old or what ?!?!
Hope your week is wonderful, and I can relate to that tingling feeling in cool weather, really kinda weird, but look at the bright side - you got new outdoor wearables :-) God bless, praying for you and the family !