Sunday, October 29, 2006

"That's just the way it is, but don't you believe them..."

Eep!

I suppose it’s been a while since I last updated. I’m sorry. It hadn’t seemed like that long, but I guess it was.

So what have I been up to…

Well, October 19th marked the day Ben and I started going out a year ago. Our original plan to celebrate was to do something the following day, like go to a corn maze or something, but our plans got all switched around.

Thursday evening we ended up going to the Mayo Civic Center to see Reggie Dabbs, who was a motivational speaker/comedian who’d done a presentation at the high school. Well, what we didn’t know was that he was just one act in this huge Minnesota Christian youth convention. There were schools from all over Minnesota at this thing. It was pretty spectacular. They had five big screens above the stage displaying the lyrics of the songs a live contemporary Christian band was performing. The band was the Jon Reine Band and I thought they were pretty good. After the band was done, an in-between comic/host did a short act, which was extremely funny, and then presented Reggie’s band. His band played a few popular non-Christian songs and then Reggie began his act. It was one of the saddest things ever. I’d say almost everyone was bawling by the time it was over. The story was the story of Christ, except in a modern presentation. While Reggie told the story of a little boy and his dad who ran a railway-bridge, a silent film of the story was being played on the screens, so you could watch and listen. In the end, the dad had to sacrifice the life of his son in order to save the lives of many oblivious people on the train. It was so sad, but I thought it was a really interesting way of presenting Christ’s story. So even though the story was sad, I still had a great time.

That pretty much wrapped up Thursday. Friday I didn’t do much of anything. I hung-out with Ben for about an hour before he had to go live in a cardboard box city. I went home and called my grandma about helping me crochet hats for chemo patients. This led to me going to a church dinner with my grandma, grandpa, great-aunt and uncle. It was fun and the food was good. Plus, I got to learn how to crochet hats.

Saturday I went to Tweit’s pumpkin patch with Ben and some of his family. Tweit’s was definitely small-child orientated, but we ran around like small children and played on the playgrounds and ran through the mazes. It was a good way to get out for the afternoon.

Later in the evening Ben and I went out to eat at Olive Garden and saw a movie afterwards. We were originally going to see “The Guardian,” but the projector was broken or something, so we went to “Man of the Year.” It was pretty good, though definitely not the best movie ever.

Sunday was dinner at Gma & Gpa Tri’s to celebrate Grandpa’s birthday. We had ham and mashed potatoes. Yum. I ended-up taking a nap while I was there. I always feel so bad about falling asleep at gatherings, but I can’t help it. I really do try to stay awake.
Then the weekend was over and the week started up again. I went to band practice at RCTC, which is always a lot of fun. I love playing in bands; much more enjoyable than playing by yourself.

Tuesday I had blood tests and a visit with a nurse practitioner, instead of one of the oncologists. The blood tests came back with wonderful results. My hemoglobin is now up to 12.4, which is easily in normal range, and I don’t have to get icky, stinging shots anymore to help boost it up. Other good news includes the continual decrease of the tumor-marking enzymes. They still have a ways to go, but they’re definitely getting closer to normal. The only bad news was that I had lost a couple of pounds. I was certain I had been gaining weight since I had been eating more at breakfast and stuff the past week, but I guess I had lost too much while I had my previous round of chemo.

The next day I went in for my sixth round of chemo. All I can say was that appointment was way too early for my taste. We had to be there at 7:15 in the morning. Blech. At least I got a room with a window. The other plus side was I finished a hat and left it at the ward for somebody else. Hopefully someone will take it and maybe I’ll get to see them wearing it. =D

Yeah, so Wednesday was a chemo day which pretty much slummed the next couple days. No, wait. Laura and I got to go to Schmidt and play on the pianos and that was fun. Oh, and it’s her birthday tomorrow, so Happy Birthday Laura!!

I had my first Peter Pan rehearsal this week. It was really fun. I’m a pirate and all the other pirates are nice people, so I know we’ll have a blast. I even get to carry around a whip or a sword for the play. Mwa-ha-ha!

Friday and Saturday were the performances of “Romeo & Juliet” at the high school. I thought they went pretty well; we had a nice turn-out Friday night, though I could complain about the quality of some of the crowd.

After Saturday’s performance I went to the Ehlenfeldt’s for a cast party. There were lots of cookies, a bonfire, firecrackers, and a game of ghost-in-the-graveyard to be had. And when combined with crazy drama monkeys, it definitely makes for an entertaining time.

So now it’s Sunday again. I’m finally starting to bounce back from chemo, though I’m still considerably cold sensitive. I’d have to say that’s the worst part of my chemo treatment, especially with this cool weather. Oh well, it’ll go away eventually.

This week looks like it’ll be a busy one. I have a couple of tests to take, rehearsals for band and Peter Pan, Halloween to acknowledge, and a few more hats to make. It’ll be nice to be kept busy; hopefully I can stay awake for all of it. =D

Much love,
Cheryl

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to hear from you today, and here you are. Glad to hear you are coming out of the chemo funk, and that you have a busy week planned. What color of hats are you making? I am feeling guilty for not working more on my current crochet project which is a prayer shawl. There are a group of ladies young and old who either knit or crochet a shawl (basically a small afghan) then our ministers give them out as they see fit to whoever needs one. They are supposed to be for comfort, love and warmth from an annonymous someone to someone else when they need to know people are out there in the world who care. It is also given in celebration for blessings. Anyway, I have one about half done and need to get busy and finish it. Then maybe I'll alternate hats and shawls. Wrestling season is coming up fast, and crocheting is a good project in between matches! I'm looking forward to seeing you as a pirate in Peter Pan. When is the play? Just don't let Ben play with the whip or sword! Even though it is getting colder outside, its a sunny day when test results are positive!! See you soon Love Ben's Mama

Anonymous said...

I am really glad to hear that things are going good for you! It sure is warm today, I hope you get to enjoy it. I think that Taylor and I should learn how to crochet caps. I know that Taylor would love to do something like that, and I think I would also enjoy it. Take Care!
Glenda

Helen said...

Hi Cheryl! The play was so fun, especially me getting ugly for da Nurse... and the party at Ehlenfeldt's was great as they always are. I think I'm trying out for the One-Act, so that'll be fun. Guess I'll ttyl and cya soon!
<3 Helen

Anonymous said...

Good to hear all the good news, Cheryl. Sounds like a lot of neat things going on. I'd love to learn to crochet hats. Maybe you could come to a wrestling match and teach a few of us mom's who have to sit there all day every Saturday. Take care!
April

Drama Boss said...

Hey, Cheryl! I'm sorry I forgot to give you your present *again*! But I've still got it and you're still getting it. Maybe this will give me a chance to wrap it all nice and pretty!

I'm a medieval peasant for Halloween. I love my RenFest dress!!

:)

-jase

~())

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl, thinking of you today, we are super glad the "results" of chemo are good.... hang in there !!
I know it's not easy sometimes, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel - praying for you, God bless

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, we are happy that our home is a place of rest for you. It should be as you were here with your family. Life is good. Tonight spooks, ghosts, and mini-snickers are in order. Booo G-Ma T

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
I'm a friend of Laura Miller. I've been praying for you.
Reggie Dabbs came to my school! he's sooo cool!! I wanted to go to the youth confrence, but I was actually visiting Laura! (I was doing a college visit on friday, so I stayed with Laura on thursday night)
anyways, I'll continue praying for you, Cheryl.
in Christ,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Hey, I found a web site with some info on how to up the calories a bit. It's a site for Teens with Cancer - check it out:
http://www.2bme.org/2bMe.html

Also, for those of you who haven't seen Cheryl's crocheting - it is awesome. Her cap looks perfect and fits great. I have a scarf she crocheted last year for a scholarship drive at the U of MN in Rochester - can you guess the colors.

I think you are the most Cheryl, here you are dealing with all sorts of things and still taking to the time to make caps for others.

Love you!
Aunt Linda

Anonymous said...

Cheryl
You said once about wanting to connect with other young people going through the same things you are. I talked with a friend from Rochester NY who works with cancer patients, including teens and he gave me a web site.

Check this one out – go all the way to the bottom for Young Cancer Survivors. It is on the American Cancer Society Web page – lot s of other things there too.
http://www.acscsn.org/Forum/Discussion/summary.html

Aunt Linda

Jack said...

Yeah, I'd love to send you those pics! whats your email?

Jack said...

Oh sorry, i'll comment on your post now :D
Happy Anniversery to you and Ben!
i'm glad the blood test things are going well!
Hey i was there at the after party too, ha ha...thanks for hiding me, even tho it wasn't my turn, but I didn't know :(
Good luck with Peter Pan!

Telaldalin said...

my email address is: telaldalin@msn.com

thanks jack!