Woohoo!! All done with doctors appointments for this weekend. Happiness!
I'm sorry I couldn't update things yesterday. After I got the stent put in I felt like crud. I spent most of the day sleeping, refusing food, feeling nauseous, and just hurting in general. The night didn't go much better: I slept little and hurt much.
Today went lots better. We left home around 5:20 a.m. and went to St. Mary's hospital. I got all checked in and assigned to a room. My parents filled the nurses in that I was having bad cramps and asked if they could give me something for that, which the nurses said they could easily do. So we walked down to the waiting room and I got to lay on a cot and get hooked-up to an IV with this huge needle (I had to have a numbing shot first since I was starting to freak out about getting the IV-needle in my hand). Once the IV was in, the nurse gave me some pain killers and I finally started to relax.
Again we waited, but this time it was my fault since I thought I was getting the port in on the left side and the doctors were saying I was going to get it on the right side. We came to the agreement that it'd just be easier to get it in on the right and I was wheeled into the operating room.
It was scary, but I think I had the nicest bunch of hospital staff ever so it wasn't too bad. The only thing I can complain about was the gels they put under my heels to take pressure off them while I was operated on. The gels were freezing cold, which totally defeated the purpose of giving me a warm blanket when my toes are freezing off. Oh well. I was asleep soon anyway.
The procedure went well. Really well actually. I woke up after the the best sleep I've had in a week and my abdominal cramps were gone and the only pain I feel from port is the type of stiffness you get when you haven't stretched in a while. I had really buttery toast, a sandwhich, and cold water at the hospital for lunch. After that I was just peachy.
Finally, I got X-rays of my abdomen to make sure the cramping wasn't caused by a problem with the stent and then I came home.
So that's my morning. I'm still not sure what to think of the port. It's kind-of odd. I'm thinking of using the scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding about the lump in the neck and finding a twin sister as a story if people ever ask what it is. =P
Monday I start chemo. I'm a little apprehensive, but I figure I'll worry about that when Monday comes and just enjoy my weekend. =D
Talk to you all later.
Thanks again for the cards and comments.
~Cheryl
Friday, August 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Dude, we have a big 'ol basket of stuff for you to do in waiting rooms, and some just random things. My mom's idea. Let's see what we have here... uh... chocolate, calligraphy pens/kit, sudoku, a kit to... uh... grow your own four leaf clovers, "Stinky Hippie" body wash, and a bunch of mystery things in wrapping paper. My favorite is the body wash. "Time to clean up, you stinky hippie!" I'll try to drop all of it off at your house pretty soon.
Cheryl, I am glad to hear that things went better today. Enjoy your weekend & good luck next week!
Glenda
~CHERYL~
well welcome to the "port club" haha i know it's going to feel sorta odd for a little while with having something new in the body, but trust me, it's WAY BETTER then having them stick you every time you need chemo, or even blood draws.
i also wanted to let you know that yes it might be a little nerve-racking to think that you're going in for a chemo treatment on monday, but look at the bright side, it's just one step at a time to make this better for ya ;) keep up your positive attitude and you'll pull through!
please call me if you need anything or just want to talk..i know it's been a lot on your shoulders these past couple of days, but if you want to hang out, i'll be happy to come see ya, just let me know.
take care!
<3 nikki
Cheryl, thanks for keeping us all updated on your progress! I am glad to hear things are going well... love your sense of humor!
Laura
Cheryl - Karen, Kristopher, Kristina, and I really enjoyed your comments. We can't help but marvel at your incredible attitude! That positive attitude is what will get you through this. Keep your chin up, keep smiling and fight hard. We'll do our part by keeping you in our thoughts and prayers (and, let us know if we can do anything else). Good luck with the chemo next week. Let your family know we are thinking of them, too. God Bless, The Swansons
I'm glad you are done for the weekend. I hope the week goes good for you. I'm going to give you a call soon.
love Ann :)
Hi Cheryl, so i just found out about your news and i couldn't belive it. I feel bad i cant come stop in and say hi to you, but im still at camp for another 2 weeks. Im glad to hear things are going better. You're always in my heart cheryl and ill be thinking of you when im up here. And before i go HEre is a BIG air Hug, and i miss you i hope your weeks to come get even more better!
love kendra
Hey Cheryl, how's it going? We just got back from a really great show at our Reining Futurity in St Paul, read all about it on my blog if you feel like it. I was hoping to come see you within the next week, but it sounds like Monday you have to go in, and then i'm totally swamped the rest of the week. Hope to see you soon, keep up your great attitude it will help you lots!
love, Helen
Hi Cheryl~
Just a note to say HI and hope everything is going ok for you!
You are always in our Prayers!
Karen, Kevin, Nikki, & Kyle
www.caringbridge.org/mn/nikki
Cheryl, you're awesome, girl! I thought of you this weekend as I drove by a bunch of peach stands in Georgia. I brought some back (peaches, not the stands), along with my Aunt Mary's recipe for peach cobbler. I haven't examined the peaches after my plane ride, but if they survived, I'll see if I can't get that peach cobbler made tonight and send it over with Roberto y Laura. You're in my prayers. Good luck today.
April Horne
Post a Comment