Over the last couple weeks, people have asked Kathy & I what they could do to help. It is great to have such loving & supportive friends and we really do appreciate the offers! We are all adjusting to these new challenges and just taking them day by day. At this moment there is nothing I can point to that we need help with beyond your prayers.
If you are interested in helping find a cure for all forms of cancer, there is something you can do on your PC today. A team of doctors is conducting cancer research using GRID technology. Grid computing is a method of joining together PCs and creating a virtual system with the computational power that far surpasses supercomputers in existence today. (You can get more information on Grid Computing at: World Grid Link #1.) All you need to do to participate is download the code and let it run on your PC but to run the Help_Defeat_Cancer project, your PC must have at least 750MB of memory installed and 500MB of available disk space.
The code is very easy to download and install and will run as a screen saver or as a background job depending on how you configure it. Within the World Community Grid, the Cancer research site is located at: World Grid Link #2. The Home page has a large Download Now button to install the grid code on your PC.
To select the Cancer research project after installing the code, you have open the program with a right mouse button click. Select Preferences, and then select Modify Device Profile. On the left side of the website screen, select My Projects and on the next screen de-select FightAids@Home. Select Save at the bottom of the screen and the next project that runs on your PC will be the Help_Defeat_Cancer.
It takes anywhere from 6 to 14 hours to process one result. The program will calculate your processing results and provide you with a ranking for your total processing. Like in 'Who's Line Is It Anyway', the points really don't matter but it is fun to see your ranking climb. If there is enough interest, I can form a team for folks to join and submit their points to. The results of the research data being processed by your PC really does count!
Thanks for your help and making a difference in Cancer research!
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Steve and Kathy,
You can bet there will be alot of computers trained on the effort to find out more about cancer now that you have made more aware! Thanks for the step by step directions for those of us more computer challenged! You are both in my thoughts and prayers each day, so if you ever need a lift remember you aren't in this alone. Nancy H
Steve, thanks for the pin and the coffee - enjoyed the chat as well. Your family is in our prayers
To all .....
In my deepest sleep one night I dreamed
That on the beach I walked
God was by my side each step
And quietly we talked
Then on the sky my life was flashed
The visions all serene
Two sets of footprints in the sand
Were there in every scene
But then I noticed in some scenes
of suffering pain and strife...
Just a single set of footprints
At the worst times of my life
"God... you said you'd stay by me
In good times and in bad....
Why then did you leave me
Each time my life was sad?"
"MY PRECIOUS CHILD" God answered
"WHEN YOUR LIFE HAD PAIN I KNEW....
THE SINGLE SET OF FOOTPRINTS
WERE THE TIMES i CARRIED YOU"
God Bless - hang in there
Steve, Kathy, Cheryl & Greg,
I pray every day for you!
You know the term computer geek? Well, I have the geek part down, but not the computer part. I will get one of my computer savvy friends to help me so that I can try this.
Glenda
Glenda, if you need help getting this program running, let me know.
Hi Cheryl,
I am one of the pastors at Chatfield Lutheran Church. Please know that you are in all of our prayers, as well as the prayers during worship.
Pastor Chris Finsand
Steve,
I've been a Grid.org member for 3 years. I'm ranked at 1400 out of 1.3 million members. I'll join your Grid team if you start one.
Daniel Schuster
Thanks Dan,we just need to think of a name for the team. We have all our PCs running the cancer program now - took a while to ran up enough point for me to get in the top 100,000, 1,400 is impressive!
Steve
Just wanted to mention that I joined your team this morning!
Laura Zaborowski
Post a Comment