Happy Monday to everyone!
I'm currently residing in the Gonda building, hooked-up to a pump, and receiving my first dose of chemotherapy. So far it's been an easy day. We got here around 8 a.m. and were checked-in and brought back almost right away. I'm actually kind-of glad I've got this started; it makes things seem a little less scary.
Well, people have been asking what is involved in my chemotherapy and I finally have some answers and correct spellings to fill you in with.
First, I'll be coming into the Gonda every other week to receive the first half of my chemo coctail. The nurse accesses my port by sticking in a needle connected to an IV tube. Then I sit in here for a few hours and receive meds. After that I'm given a portable pump that I'm hooked-up to for 48 hours to receive the rest of the chemo. I'll repeat this procedure four times and then I'll go through some tests to see how everything is working.
This is what I'm receiving through chemotherapy:
1. Avastin: antibody- protein specific (a.k.a. targets cancer)
2. Oxaliplatin: kills cells...all of them
3. Leucovorin: Vitamin B
4. 5-Fluorouracil: kills cells...all of them...again
It doesn't look like hair loss is one of the side-effects for any of these meds, but Dr. Erlichman said it was a possibility before. I guess we’ll have to see.
There is one side-effect though that is a given. I have to be careful about touching/consuming anything cold. Were I to, for example, touch a cold can of pop, it would feel like I had just stuck my hand in an electrical outlet. If I drank anything colder than room temperature, my throat would constrict and I would have problems breathing and could possibly pass out. I'm writing this as a reminder to myself and as a heads-up to everyone else in case I forget; however, the nurse said I'm not likely to forget after I’ve forgotten once.
Another is the typical mouth sores and such not that’s associated with most chemotherapy. I shouldn’t be nauseous at all since they’re giving me meds for that. Oh, I also got a shot today to help my hemoglobin count. Should resolve the anemic problem.
What else…
My weekend was good. I hung-out with friends and Ben (boyfriend). Saturday we went to Applebee’s, which is always a good time. Then on Sunday, Mom and I traveled to Madison, Wisconsin to the Olbrich Gardens to visit the conservatory and butterfly exhibit. I took my camera along and I’m hoping I got a few good photographs. I’ll load them onto my computer later this evening and see how they turned out. Maybe I’ll post a couple of the good ones.
So now I’m watching Sky High with Mom, Dad, and Ben and starting two more bags of chemicals… simultaneously: the advantages of having a port. =D
Continued thanks for everyone’s support.
~Cheryl
Monday, August 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
Hey - Good to hear that yesterday was a good day. Thought about you -
Sounds like you are taking control of this thing - as much as you can anyway. Remember - knowledge is power!
Take care, and if you need anything, give me a call -
By the way, don't let Ben touch anything!
Hey, Cheryl!
Oooh, Wisconsin. That's kind of a long drive to Madison, isn't it? Anyway, sounds like you had fun. :) I hope the chemo goes okay for you, and it's definitely a good thing that you don't have to worry about hair loss. Although that kind of makes me think of the one guy from KB State ho was like sixteen and pretty much bald. He had a combover. :b Anyway, let me know if you want to do something or just hang out or whatever. You know my number!
-jase
~())
P.S. -- I went shopping on Saturday and I got your birthday present! I think you'll like it... ;)
Hey Cheryl!
Your weekend sounds like it was fun! I hope the chemo goes alright. I hope you like the hoodie I sent over yesterday!
-Bri
Glad that the first day of treatment went well. I guess the port is proving useful in minimizing the number of needle sticks. Take it easy the next few days.
- Jeff, Char, Chris, Jason
Hi Cheryl!
We just got home from vacation and heard this news. We want you to know we are thinking about you and you are in our thoughts and prayers! We wish you all the best and hope the chemo goes well. Take care of you.
Love,
Annette, Curt and Brennan
Hey Cheryl...hope all is well. Are you being at Western Days on Saturday?? See ya soon
love,
Beth
p.s. rumor is that you tried washing your hand in cold water just to test things out...how'd that go?
Cheryl, I am learning so much reading your updates!! I hope you feel ok. Hang in there.
See you this weekend!!
Love, Nancy
Cheryl has a birthday soon? When is it? :) sounds like you're doing great. No icecream?! That's got to be horrible! You can have icecream soup... :D love ya as always,
Helen
Cheryl's birthday is the 19th of September. It's her golden birthday. :)
-jase
~())
Hi Cheryl~
Good to hear that everything went so good for you yesterday.
Please remember to not use any cold water or drink anything cold!
We sent your name to some of our friends that we have met during our journey and they all have added your name to their prayer lists too.
God Bless You! Keep up your positive additude! It helps in many ways~
Karen, Kevin, Nikki, & Kyle
Cheryl,
Thinking of you often EVERY day. Glad the chemo is going OK. See you soon.
LOVE YOU!
Linda and Craig
Cheryl, We think of you all the time! We are so proud of you, you are our hero! You have such a good attitude! Make sure you smile and know we are here for you!!
The Crawfords
Good Morning Cheryl~
Just checking in to see how you are doing.
You are always in our thoughts and Prayers!
Karen, Kevin, Nikki, & Kyle
www.caringbridge.org/mn/nikki
Cheryl--it is great to read your detailed posts--you are such an excellent communicator, and you are in the prayers of the staff at Bethel!
Post a Comment